The pregnancy test was positive. Yes, we're having a baby!
- The baby's due date is October 29, 2008.
- We don't know if it is a boy or a girl yet.
- I'm starting to show.
- The baby's nickname is Bok Choi (hence the title of our blog).
- We are very excited, but a little overwhelmed.
- Other than that, everything is progressing smoothly.

How we found out:
- I thought I had a cold. Dennis looked up my symptoms online and was the one who told me that I was pregnant.
- Not believing him, I pee-ed on 3 sticks. All 3 were positive within 5 seconds. (Scientific rationale: I had to do it in triplicate.)
Dennis' reaction:
- It was a Saturday morning. He was reading in bed. I pee-ed on my first stick, and shouted to him from the bathroom that it was positive. I peeked around the corner to look at him. He looked up from his book, said "Oh yeah hunny? That's good," turned the page, and kept reading.
- Shock. I didn't feel pregnant at all.
- I still didn't feel pregnant.
- Holy moly.
I went to the doctor's office later that week and it was confirmed. We were going to be parents.
First trimester:
- I had "morning sickness" but it happened more in the afternoon/evening than morning. I never threw-up because I hate throwing up and did everything in my power to not throw up.
- I did not have any abnormal cravings; rather there were a lot of things that I couldn't eat. I wanted fruit and salad most of the time.
- I was exhausted and sleepy. I slept 11+ hours a day. It sure takes a lot of energy making the placenta.
- I thought all of the pregnancy symptoms were just exaggerations. I'm telling you now that it is ALL true. Constipation, tiredness, sensitivity to smells (I couldn't stand chemical smells, exhaust, cigarette smoke, meat, or snickers), nausea... the whole gamut.
- Then it all started to gradually disappear! One day I woke up and actually felt like myself again. Thank god.
Currently:
- I'm in my 2nd trimester. The baby is now 20 weeks old. We find out the sex this Friday the 13th!
2nd trimester thus far:
- I can't zip my pants all the way up. I use a bella band to cover my unzipped pants. I wear dresses a lot now since Atlanta weather is wretchedly hot.
- I can eat again without many aversions. Cooking smells still bother me.
- I don't feel as if I'm eating more than I normally do.
- I can finally feel the baby move!!! It feels like little flutterings, very similar to intestinal digestive movements and gas (but it's not). Dennis was able to feel a kick one time too.
- I am having internal "growing pains", and it hurts.
- Dennis says good morning and good night to the baby which I think wakes the baby up. It's so cute.
Anyway, that is the update thus far. The saga continues so please check back soon! Baby Bok Choi will be sad if you didn't. :)
2 comments:
Hi Mary,
How is Baby Bok Choi? Hope you're feeling okay. I bet you're really starting to show by now. Have you found out the sex yet? Or is it going to be a surprise? Do you have any more sonnogram or other pictures to share? Take care, Shelly
Okay, I see now that you're having a girl!!!!! She will be soooo cute and sweet!!
Post a Comment